Trials and Tribulations

       When you are an independent filmmaker such as us, there comes many hoops and obstacles to overcome. When filming we wanted to replicate the work of Wes Anderson, our inspiration for this film opening. The first obstacle was film location, originally we wanted to somehow film in an interrogation room in a police station or something. But as we reached closer and closer to March 24th (our filming date) that idea seemed to be out of reach. We settled on Lara's house and changed the setting of the film from a police station to Mrs. Laroux's home. Right, with that out of the way all we needed to do was show up and film correct? Nope. We needed a wardrobe to match the time. I went to Goodwill, picked up a trenchcoat and a hat for $15 and we had Detective Briggs. Lara found some stuff in her mother's closet to wear and then we had Mrs. Laroux.
       Then came filming day, up until the night before we weren't sure on what camera we were going to use, but Lara's sister, Cristina, allowed us to use her Nikon camera to film for the day. We couldn't me more thankful for her because that camera is awesome, so if you're somehow reading this Cristina, Thank you! Next was a tripod, my dad has a professional tripod that would be perfect for us to use. When we started filming I realized I had no idea how to put a camera on a tripod. I called my dad only to find out that the part that attaches the camera to the tripod was missing. Great. Using some books and chairs we were able to prop the camera up and angle it to our liking, still would have been easier to do with a tripod. Sound was also a big issue. We were not going to get movie quality sound, we had no boom mics or anything like that so we accepted this fate. For the outside stuff and shots that were farther away from the camera, I plugged my headphones, which are equipped with a mic, into my phone and started recording. We were able to conceal to microphone under clothes using tape. It was the best we had and I think it came out well.
        Overall, it took from 9 am- 4 pm to film the entire opening, when we were finished we were relieved and beat.

Comments

Popular Posts